1. Myth number one is that the United States "can still win" in Iraq.When you're done reading Professor Cole, please go to Chris Floyd's post Escalation and Expansion: Bush's "Great Leap Forward" into Hell.
2. "US military sweeps of neighborhoods can drive the guerrillas out."
3. The United States is best off throwing all its support behind the Iraqi Shiites.
4. "Iraq is not in a civil war," as Jurassic conservative Fox commentator Bill O'Reilly insists.
5. "The second Lancet study showing 600,000 excess deaths from political and criminal violence since the US invasion is somehow flawed."
6. "Most deaths in Iraq are from bombings."
7. "Baghdad and environs are especially violent but the death rate is lower in the rest of the country."
8. "Iraq is the central front in the war on terror."
9. "The Sunni Arab guerrillas in places like Ramadi will follow the US home to the American mainland and commit terrorism if we leave Iraq."
10. "Setting a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq is a bad idea."
Happy New Year.