Friday, April 01, 2011

"They ruined our neighborhoods with integration"


Who would say such a thing? George Wallace, decades ago at the schoolhouse door? Haley Barbour, who doesn't think segregation was all that bad? Scott Walker, working hard as Milwaukee County Executive to stop transit that might change the most segregated city in the country?

Wrong. It was Minnesota State Senator Dan Hall, a Republican legislator from Bloomington. And he said it on the floor of the Minnesota Senate. And right before he uttered those words, he said, "I watched Minneapolis get destroyed, so I not only didn't want my kids in the school system. I took them out of Minneapolis..."

But not to worry. Senator Hall isn't the racist those remarks might suggest. Because immediately afterward he clarified everything by assuring us that (we kid you not), "My best friends are minority."

Full story at MnIndy.

No comments: