Friday, August 22, 2008

Dear Diary

NC makes me so mad! Last winter, I wrote a column about how easy it was to bring starving and freezing people to Jesus. And then, after I turned it in to DT, I find out that NC wrote a column about a homeless person, and he made it sound like the homeless man's troubles weren't caused by his lack of faith. NC made him sound like a memorable character, too. I was really proud of my column. I had to spend some time with some really icky people to do it, but I stuck with it!

NOW HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!

I wrote about this young Christian boy who was killed in a car accident. I talked about how he was an athlete and such a dear boy, and how his passing made so many people sad. Especially on account of how he was a Christian, of course. But then I said, "Don't worry! Be happy! He's with God now!"

God can really make lemonade out of lemons, can't He, Dear Diary? Well, anyway, where was I? Oh yes -

Then last Sunday, NC wrote about his friend Don Boxmeyer who died recently. It's so unfair, writing about somebody he actually knew. But maybe NC didn't know him so well, after all, because he didn't mention what church Boxmeyer went to. OMG! Maybe he didn't go to church! Did you think of that Dear Diary?

When NC and I write columns on similar subjects, I always feel like mine sounds like that first bag of trash when you drop it into the can. Thud!

Every time he walks by me at the paper, I think I can hear NC humming the tune from that song "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better." Maybe it' my imagination, but I just want to shout, "No you can't!"

I don't know how much more of this I can take. SCREAM! SCREAM! SCREAM!!! I feel like I am on the top step of the stairway into the dark basement of my soul.

That's why I am so thankful, Dear Diary, for my friends who supply me with good ideas for my columns. I don't know what I would do without them. My recent column about Peter Hegseth sure got a lot of help. I guess the Beatles were right!

My friend John at Power Line just had another great thought about the real John McCain. I want to write it down so I don't forget it:

The truth is that McCain isn't out of touch with "ordinary people" because he's rich, he's out of touch with his own domestic arrangements because he cares little about material things, and for many years has devoted his extraordinary energies not to enjoying his wife's money, but to serving the American people. Given the number of nights he's spent in hotels or on military bases over the last few years, it's no wonder he hasn't seen much of his wife's condos.

How true! I must write more about what a selfless man John McCain is!

Well, good night, Dear Diary. It always feels good to talk like this with you.

[N.B. This is Spot's entry in Brian Lambert's contest.]

No comments: